Sunday, April 20, 2008

Support Groups

I recently organized another fundraiser for the MS Super Cities Walk. On my way to the MVP Summit I met a brand new MVP whose husband was afflicted with MS about a year and a half ago. My best friend from high school has been living with this scary disease for about 20 years (maybe more since she always seemed to be suffering from what they thought was meningitis). For much of that time she has been dealt some serious threats to her vision and the daily injections are mind numbing. I couldn’t fathom doing this. As we talked I wondered what support was out there for families. There are support groups as with most diseases but what struck me more was the fact that a web based one for epilepsy sufferers had recently been hacked and on the screen was a flash type file that could cause epileptic seizures, rendering the person to potential death . Now as silly as it sounds Groove actually would have prevented this or at least make the perpetrator traceable. With control over the workspace as tight or as loose as you desire, groups such as this would greatly benefit from a more “safe” environment. What seems so simple could actual prevent one death or many more.

No comments: