Sunday, April 20, 2008

Social Networking

While many of us clamour to keep up with so many of these social networking sites I am more than happy to have my workspaces where I can keep in contact with the people that mean the most to me (okay it’s all business contacts except for user and community project groups, but as Groove is put into some other versions of Office (PLEASE) I see this changing. And since Groove has this neat alert that appears quietly at the bottom of my screen and then hides itself until you scroll over it, unlike IM (MAKE ME CRAZY ORANGE FLASHES) I can peek at and decide when I am ready to deal with a Groove IM or a new file or message when it suits me. I also don’t feel the stress to update my “What Elisabeth is doing now....” Who cares if I’m about to ship my teenagers off to Siberia (one way ticket).
With Groove I can decide who I want to be in my group and certainly not have to worry about “outsiders” if I am the only one making the invites! I also find the fact that everything is encrypted, sending files and messages back and forth is not a big concern for me.
I think people only have to see the simplicity, security and offline beauty that Groove offers and they will start to see this as an alternative to too much “in your face” sites that we all know and sometimes quite rightly despise.

No comments: